Healthy Wholemeal Cookies


I made some wholemeal cookies two days ago. This was the first time I ever attempted cookies from scratch. I once bought a box of  cookie pre-mixed flour and just needed to put in the water and egg, but I found it way too sweet and 'buttery'.  I had a large packet of wheatbran lying in my fridge and was wondering for ways to utilise it, instead of just in making bread. I searched online for recipes of wholemeal cookies, found many quite complicated to do, until I chanced upon this website for Nestum cookies. This was the easiest recipe to make cookies that I ever found. I modified the recipe a little.

I used the following ingredients:

250g wheat flour (tepung gandum)
140g Butter (I lessened the butter content)
100g Fine Sugar (I lessened the sugar content)
A cup of milk
2 Eggs
A teaspoon Rose Essence (since I didn't have any other essence)

3 tablespoons of the following:
Wheatbran
Nestum
Pumpkin seeds
Fast cooking oats


I mixed the ingredients with an electric hand mixer. However, I found the flour still a little sticky and soft. I added in some rice flour, a tip given by my mother. I wasn't sure whether it would turn out alright as this is the first time I've ever attempted it. S helped me to press the round balls of flour with a fork, to make it flatter with some patterns. Finally, I added chocolate sprinkles at the top (S wanted chocolate sprinkles, so I went out and bought them). Then I put it in the oven at 150 degrees celcius.  I had to turn the cookies upside down after the top part is golden brown, in order to bake it on the underside, as it was still a little soft at the bottom. 

Here's how it looks like after baking, which I feel is not bad, for a first timer who's not used to baking. I think that this cookie is healthier (since there are a lot of grains in the cookie) than the store ones that are sugar, colouring and preservative laden. 

The completed cookies

The cookie jars
Mmmmm, yummy!!

The boys loved it!

S can now tell me the recipe for making this cookie. I used the cookie as a motivator (the carrot approach), to get them motivated to do things. Especially in getting S motivated to wake up after his sleep / nap and have his breakfast / teatime. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails