Melaka River Cruise

Entrance to the Melaka River Cruise
We went for a 45 minute cruise on the Melaka River to give the boys the experience of sitting in a boat. Before I went to Melaka, I had called up the office and asked about the cruise. I also enquired whether we would be given safety life jackets to wear. I was assured by the girl who answered that there would be life jackets provided, and that the life jackets were kept under the chair. I enquired about children life jackets, and she said that they were provided. However, when we were aboard the boat already and I asked about the life jacket from the boat driver, he said that there would be no need to wear a life jacket, as this is a river and there are be no waves. My heart sank. I was concerned and looked around for a life jacket, but there were none. We were already in the boat and it was too late to revert.

Throughout the journey, I was praying that the ride would be fine. On the way, we met passing boats returning from their cruise. Those boats also created waves, and our boat had to slow down and not to go too near to the other boat. I was worried what if due to some malfunction of the engine or some fluke accident, they crashed into each other and the boat went overboard? It would be too late to open the seats and get the life jackets out then. These are our lives and our children's lives. As we went on, I was able to relax well enough to enjoy the ride. The cruise went relatively well, but E wouldn't sit still and wanted to walk around and climb on the seats. I had to hold on to him and he resisted being held onto and started whining.

I still feel that life jackets should be provided on the cruise, for people who choose to wear them, since this is a water based activity and human lives shouldn't be compromised.


We stopped awhile to observe 2 monitor lizards, one swimming and one on a tree.

Murals painted on the walls of buildings

Boats

The boy who wouldn't sit still.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails