13.1.11: Perpustakaan Negara Kuala Lumpur

I brought the boys to visit the National Library and apply for membership there. I arrived there around 11 am and was lucky to get a parking inside the library compound.


Library hours:
Tuesdays - Saturdays          : 10.00 am - 7.00 pm
Sundays                              : 10.00 am - 6.00 pm
Mondays & Public holidays : Closed 

My last time there was in year 2000, when I was doing my MBA, and my membership had since lapsed. When I enquired about renewing my membership, I was asked to bring my old membership card (and can't apply for a new membership). Otherwise, I would be fined RM5. What an irony, since it's now free membership for all new applicants. Application for membership was free of charge and since the boys had the MyKid card, the library would not be issuing a membership card. The boys only needed the MyKid card to borrow. Each person could borrow 3 books for 3 weeks. 

We headed to the children's section which was at the basement and separate from the adults section in which children were not allowed to ender. I was asked to deposit my bag at the bag deposit area where there was a security guard stationed. Another security guard came up to me and asked me to remove all valuables from my bag. I didn't bring a handbag, so I stuffed everything into my pants pockets. Fortunately, I was wearing cargo pants which had many pockets.

There were some sunken sofa in the middle of the library to sit on and many books strewn on the floor in the middle of the library. Since it was a weekday, there was hardly anyone around.

The boys were more attracted to playing with the plastic cushions that were of various shapes and could be made into a puzzle or a circle, etc. Later on, S started to look through the books.

These were the books we borrowed. E wanted to borrow the book on Teddy Time. I intentionally chose thicker books, as we stayed quite far from the library and it wouldn't be viable just to borrow thin books and complete reading them all in a day. Having to travel 60 km to and fro, paying for petrol and RM 4 toll made me reconsider whether I should do this on a long term basis. I think I should go and visit a nearer library.


After that, we went to the cafeteria to have lunch. My appetite was dampened when I found a cooked grub in my vegetable dish.Will think twice about eating there in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails